Sunday 10 July 2016

Job Interviews

I just had my first proper interview in a long time for a job that I really cared about getting a few days ago and as soon as I found out I was having an interview for this job, the anxiety set in. The woman who was going to interview me seemed really lovely over email and was very flexible with when I could come down and we eventually decided for 2pm on Friday.

I spent hours getting ready, and when I say hours, I do mean hours. I reapplied my make up about ten times until I got it looking just the way I wanted to, natural but still something there. I had to make sure my hair was perfect and it look me a long time to pick out my outfit, but eventually. I decided, my black work trousers, a white top, black pumps and then my pink floral kimono. I felt like I looked quite smart, but not too smart. 

Me being me, I got ready and left the house far too early so was 35 minutes early for my interview than I needed to be. As an actor I've always been taught to be 15 minutes early so I left my car at 20 to and made my way down to the creche. My first awkward moment was when I attempted to open the door to the creche, I realised it was actually locked so I had to ring a bell instead, and which point I was told to come back in 15 minutes,

My immediate thought was, oh crap, I've made an awful first impression and it was all I could think about was that I've messed up my chances of getting a job that I really wanted and needed. Working with kids is something that I am so passionate about and love doing and this was such a good opportunity for me to do that and I felt like I majorly messed it up. I tried to text my friends and play on games to keep my mind busy and I had brought my tangly thing with me to play with while I waited and tried not to panic. Some of the staff at this place must have thought I was really weird for sitting in a hallway playing with a tangle toy. It got to five to and I was debating in my head whether I should go bang on 2, a few minutes after two, or a few minutes before two. Honestly, these are the things my anxiety makes me think about and debate. 

I ended up going at two on the dot and rang the bell. The woman who was interviewing me was actually so lovely and I don't know why I was worrying so much. She told me it was just an informal chat and she would just ask me some questions, if I didn't know the answer then we would discuss them. Luckily because I had worked with kids before and have quite a lot of experience with them, answering the questions was pretty easy for me, it's all stuff I have had experience and knowledge in so all very simple for me to explain and I didn't have to blag anything or make it up. 

After all of the nervous energy and the worrying, I was told that I got the job and that she was very happy to give it to me. I literally couldn't believe it. I was so happy with it all. I couldn't stop smiling. I have to fill out some paper work now (another thing for me to worry about) and give her my availability and I can start ASAP. It will be weird for me being the new girl and everything as I feel like a veteran at my other job, but I'm feeling good about having something new in my life and doing something a little different.

When it comes to interviews people with anxiety can often become so overwhelmed by it all, Interviews can be stressful enough as it is but when you also have an anxiety disorder everything gets a lot more heightened and things can become too much very quickly. I guess the best kinda advice I can give to someone who is going to an interview is to breathe! Sometimes with anxiety it's so easy to forget how to breathe and that causes more panic within yourself. You just need to keep calm and breathe. It's also so important to work out where you have to go so that you don't have a last minute panic trying to find the place you need to go to and then you arrive all flustered and not ready to begin. It's so crucial to remember that the people interviewing you aren't trying to catch you out or make you look like an idiot. They want to fill the job position and asked you along because they thought you did. Also make sure you bring along with you something to help relieve your anxiety, for me it was my tangle toy, but other people being putty to mould, a cloth with a scent on it and other things that help them relax.

I know how freaky and scary interviews can be but it's important to keep calm and try your best. If you don't get the job, don't worry! There is always next time.

Stay awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment