Wednesday 13 July 2016

Irrational Thoughts

So a few days ago I tweeted one of my really irrational thoughts that I have and a lot of people liked it and retweeted it. So I thought I would share some more of my irrational fears and thoughts and hopefully you guys will have some of the same and then we will both feel less weird about having these thoughts and maybe we can laugh at ourselves a bit? I don't know, this one sounded good in my head, I'm not sure how good it'll actually come out so bear with me!

About 60% of the time when I'm driving I am completely convinced that an unmarked police officer is following me and that they're about to pull me over. I've never actually been pulled over or anything like that but whenever there is someone that's been behind me for a while I am utterly convinced that they're an unmarked vehicle. Most of the time when I think this I'm not actually doing anything that would warrant me being pulled over and told off but I can't help but think that. I look behind me and genuinely think that the granny in the old Fiat Panda is going to book me. My friend who is going to be a police officer has told me what kinda cars the police use as unmarked vehicles but I still can't get it out of my head. Realistically granny in the Fiat isn't going to pull me over, but if she was, it would 100% be my luck that she would pull me over.

Another weird irrational thought I have is that sometimes I am convinced people can read my mind. This one in particular can make me pretty anxious, and when I say it aloud it sounds pretty ridiculous and almost makes me laugh when I think about it. So I'll be sitting with someone and if they look at me in a particular way I automatically think they can read minds, especially in an intimate situation or when you're thinking something you shouldn't. I get in into my head that they can read minds and that in particular they can read my mind. So I get a bit worried that they can read my mind and then have my own internal dialogue that goes a little something like this "Oh crap, what if they can read my mind? How long have they been reading it for? I don't want them to know what I was thinking, they'll think I'm a proper freak. Right, think of something else. Cats, Dog... pizza. Oh Christ why are they looking at me funny now?! Probably because they're reading my mind. SHIT" You get the idea, pretty funny when you think about it but genuinely I can get so wrapped up in the idea that someone can read my mind and make myself seem like a proper weirdo when having a conversation with someone. Sometimes I even forget to reply because I'm so focused on trying to not think about the thing I was thinking about. Weird right?

This one I think a lot of people can relate to... or at least I hope they can and I'm not the only person who thinks this. But sometimes I think my life is like The Truman Show. If you don't know what I mean by that, I basically think that my life is constantly being recorded and watched by the world. I sometimes even change my behaviour because I am convinced that there is cameras watching me and the whole world is. That may seem big headed of me to think that people would actually be interested in my life but this is genuinely something that I think and can affect my life. I will do things just in case my life is being recorded so I know that if it is, I won't look like the bad guy. That's also another reason why I rarely ever lie because I think that people would think I'm a liar if my life is a TV show. This one is probably the most irrational thought that I have and I'm sure it crosses other people's minds too but with me, because I have anxiety I think about it a lot more than I would like to normally.

So there are my top three most irrational thoughts I have on a weekly basis. These ones are meant to be a little funny as well as light hearted and I do laugh at myself when I can get the thought out of my head. But some irrational thoughts can be much more detrimental to your mental well being and prevent you from doing everyday activities and going out there and experimenting with life.  These three thoughts can cause quite bad anxiety within me sometimes so they do sort of have a serious side of them. I guess what I'm trying to get at is that a lot of people have irrational thoughts, but it's just how you deal with it and attempt to not let it take over your life which is the main thing. In a few blog posts time I will be talking about how to deal with negative thoughts which includes some irrational thoughts as well.

I hope you guys enjoyed this blog post and it wasn't to much of a ramble and as weird as I thought it was going to be. It made me chuckle and smile while writing it so hopefully it's done the same for you guys.

Stay awesome. 

No comments:

Post a Comment